Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How do I start?

It's been an interesting year or so trying to start and run my own business. Full of trials and sparks of potential, it is a challenge that has been long dreamed of, albeit in much more vague detail.

This past 14 days has been especially fun with meetings and assignments. There have been hiccups but overall, it's been very rewarding.

A returning client, ShowBox in Houston, recruited me to come cover one of their client's open house events. At the end of that week I got to cover an event at Austin's Zilker Park for a young lady battling a rare and daunting form of brain cancer. Later that afternoon, celebrating another friend's return home after having brain surgery (also cancer), I fell into an impromptu portrait session that yielded some images I'm pretty proud of.

Meeting with other photographers has been amazing as well. I was able to meet up with Geoff Duncan at a very cool place in East Austin (called Progress Coffee) and then  Lori Luza at Kerbey Lane Cafe. They both do great work and we had some very good conversation about the business.


It's been a struggle trying to wrap my mind and will around getting this thing off the ground. There are so many things to consider, priorities needing to be established, budgets to devise and adhere to, prices to set and stick to, distribution methods, equipment, presentation... and the list goes on.  Thankfully over the past year I've also had friends and family like Ray Detwiler and Jason Arcemont, not to mention my lovely wife, who have also been giving tips and assessments that have been very helpful, even though some things haven't been implemented just yet.

Suffice it to say, I've got a lot to think about at the moment! There are little but important things like facebook "likes" that are nice encouragements throughout the day. Also having friends support me at the opening party for my showing at fab'rik austin was a huge lift, thank you Ben & Emily for your purchase! Just a few hours ago I got another nice lift as my online storefront just got it's first order! Of course getting taped by old and new friends for possible assignments is awesome as well. Thank you Brooke for letting me in on Madeleine's food fight!


Then there's the music aspect of the arts in "arts & photography" where there have been opportunities popping up for my djembe and cajon playing, not to mention a possible gig for Memorial Day weekend. It's all pretty exciting!

So yes, there's a lot going on and it's looking to be full of fun and good times. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Eric. (I was searching my site for something else and found your post!)

    I really enjoyed getting to know you, too! I hope our paths cross again, soon.

    ReplyDelete