Thursday, April 14, 2011

It is more...

‎"Being a photographer is much more than carrying a camera in a bag. Creating a good photograph demands more than technique and skill. Good photographs require that we use our mind and our heart. If we want to make pictures that cause change, we must be the first ones changed by the pictures that we make." -Chris Orwig (Quoted in a post by Radiant Squares)
It seems quite true, what Orwig said about being a photographer. Seeing what I've seen has changed me and I, in turn, want to share that perspective with others. The change being spoken of isn't necessarily big. It could be something as simple as appreciating a flower on the side of the road that was previously passed by. It could be just looking up at the sky more often to appreciate the painting of clouds, light, stars, or planets above. It could just be the change that happens when you look at someone and see a bit of character or even just a quality you hadn't before. That changes you. Sometimes it may even be a matter of seeing a photo of yourself and being able to analyze what others see in you. All these things can instigate change, and that's what a good photographer will offer.
I try to be a good photographer. Of course there is always a curve of learning to make the equipment and circumstance conform to an accurate and evocative capture of a particular moment. Even so, moments will often be powerful enough to register on film or sensor regardless of photographic perfection. It helps to have the right skill and tool bag to increase the odds though!
 
                         .

2 comments:

  1. Your view of the world changes me! Excerpt from my wedding vows to you :-) "I now see beauty in so many things that I failed to notice until you showed me."

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete